Dear WAS Parent(s)/Guardian(s):
Our School Safety Committee, with input from parents, teachers, and students, developed the following WAS arrival and dismissal procedures. The purpose of these procedures is to create a safe environment for children during the hectic dismissal process.
Below is a complete overview of our procedures, as well as instructions for completing the Daily Dismissal Schedule, which you must return to your child’s homeroom teacher on the first day of school. This form will help your child’s teacher direct him/her to the correct dismissal location on a daily basis. This form is at the bottom of this letter and also posted on our school website under “About Our School”.
In order to ensure a safe and efficient start to each school day, please be sure to read and follow the school arrival procedures detailed here.
1. Start Time - Please note that the first bell rings at 8:45 A.M. This is our “open for business” bell and the one around which you want to arrange your schedule. Please plan to drop your child at school between 8:35 A.M. and 8:45 A.M. This will ensure that your child is ready to enter the building when the first bell rings and is seated in his/her classroom and ready to start the day when the late bell rings. Any student who enters the building after 8:50 A.M. will be marked late. Late students should be dropped off at the front of the school as the doors in the back will be closed. Please do not drop your child off before 8:35 A.M., as we do not have any supervision in place until that time.
Any child arriving between 8:45 and 8:50 A.M. will still enter through the Multipurpose Room entrance but will proceed directly to his or her classroom. Any child arriving after 8:50 A.M. will be marked late. Please see the Board of Education Policy regarding lateness on the District’s website.
2. Drop-off – Cars are expected to drive to the rear of the school and pull all the way forward to drop off their children. A teacher will be on duty at the curb to greet students and direct them up the stairs to the Multipurpose Room entrance. It is important that each car pull as far forward as possible at the direction of the teacher on duty before dropping of their children. Please know that once inside the building, children are supervised and directed to their classroom locations when the bell rings.
Grades 1, 4, and 5:
Children enter through the Multipurpose Room entrance and proceed directly to the MPR, where they will wait
with their grade level classmates. At 8:45, the bell rings, and students will enter their classrooms.
Grades 2 and 3:
Children enter through the Multipurpose Room entrance and line-up in the hallway outside of their
classrooms, with staff supervision. At 8:45, the bell rings, and students will enter their classrooms.
Kindergarteners will eventually gather in the Multipurpose Room, but not until the second week of
school. During the first week, kindergarteners will line-up in the gymnasium and will be supervised from
8:35-8:45. At 8:45, the bell rings, and kindergarteners will be escorted to their classroom. Beginning
Monday, September 14th, kindergartners will follow the same procedures as grades 1, 4, and 5 and wait with
their grade level classmates in the Multipurpose Room from 8:35-8:45. Student buddies will escort
Kindergartners to their classrooms.
In order to ensure a safe and efficient close to each school day, please be sure to read and follow the school dismissal procedures detailed here.
1. Car Line – Children who are picked up on the car line will go to the gym at 3:30 p.m. In the gym, the car line students will sit in a line with their classmates and wait for their names to be called. When your children’s names are called, the oldest child in the family will gather all the younger siblings. WAS staff members will supervise students while they are in the gym. Parents are not permitted to pick up from the gym. Parents who are picking up in the car line must follow all of the directions below:
- Place one of the pink family name card in the bottom corner of your front windshield on the passenger side. Please adhere this card to the inside of your windshield. By positioning the card in this way, you will ensure that the teachers on car line duty can read the cards. The purpose of the name cards is to ensure that the teachers recognize your family name and can communicate that name directly to the supervisor in the gym. If you need a new name card, please contact the office and we will be sure to send one home with your child. Students new to the school and Kindergarten students will receive name cards on the first day of school. PLEASE NOTE: If you pull into the car line without an identifying name card, you will be asked to park and pick up your child in the office.
- All cars entering the school parking lot should stay in the left lane to allow buses access to the front entrance. Based on the flow of traffic, cars continue straight, remaining in the left lane, or turn left through the two lanes of parked cars. Cars proceed in a single lane at all times. When a car reaches the alternate merge, directed by a WAS staff member, follow his or her directions. This process allows cars to enter and exit WAS safely and efficiently, ensuring that cars are not stuck waiting on Woodside Avenue. The gate is opened after students are done using the recess/physical education area (3:25).
- Pull up to the curb as far forward as you can go and prepare to receive your children. Please be sure to follow the directions of the WAS staff members on the Car Line. They are helping to keep your children safe and to ensure Dismissal is as efficient as possible.
- As you exit the parking lot, follow the traffic signs.
2. Bus – Students who ride the bus will go to the hallway outside of the library immediately following the 3:30 P.M. bell to be placed on the appropriate bus.
3. Walk - Students who walk will line up outside the gym doors following the 3:30 p.m. bell and will be escorted to the walking path by a WAS staff member. Students need permission for this in Genesis.
4. Aftercare – Students attending aftercare will meet in the Multipurpose Room at 3:30 p.m.
C. DISMISSAL SCHEDULE AND SCHEDULE CHANGES
1. Usual dismissal method - To support our goal of a safe and secure dismissal for our students, parents are asked to complete a Daily Dismissal Schedule for each child, indicating his/her usual dismissal routine by day.
2. Dismissal Schedule Changes
- Permanent change - if your child’s schedule changes on an ongoing basis, please complete and send in an updated Daily Dismissal Schedule form.
- Temporary change known in advance - If your child’s schedule changes for the day and you know in advance, please complete and submit a hardcopy of the Change of Dismissal form. This form is located on our website under “About Our School”. Emailed copies of this form will not be accepted.
- The form should be sent into school with your child on the day of the change.
- A listing of students with changes to their dismissal routine for the day will be forwarded to both the staff member in charge in the gym and on the car line.
- Temporary change not known in advance - If your child’s schedule changes for the day at the last minute:
- Call the office to let us know what time you or your designee will be picking up your child
- The parent/guardian must park and come into the office at that time.
- If the parent is only picking up his/her child, the child will be called to the office on the loudspeaker.
- If a parent is attempting to pick up children other than his/her own, we will check that he/she is listed as a designated pick up person for that child. If this is the case, the child will be called to the office over the loudspeaker.
D. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. What do I do if I need more than the two family name cards provided by the school?
Please contact the main office if you require additional signage.
2. How can I get multiple copies of the Change of Dismissal Form?
This form is available on our school website under “About Our School”. Please print it out as necessary.
3. Why can’t I email the Change of Dismissal form to my child’s homeroom teacher or email the school secretaries to let them know about a change to dismissal?
A hardcopy of the form is needed to ensure that the necessary parties have the information so that your child is properly directed at dismissal time. This ensures that all students can report to the proper dismissal spot and be checked in by the staff member in charge. In order to preserve instructional focus, our teachers have been directed to minimize email use during the school day.
Our School Safety Committee has worked hard to consider a wide range of important variables in creating our dismissal procedure. The success of this procedure depends on the cooperation of all the parents in our community. If you have any questions or concerns in regard to dismissal, please do not hesitate to contact me.
If you need a new car line sign for your car, please contact the office. New students will receive car line signs on the first day of school.